.

Donald Sterling Accepts $2 Bil Offer for Clippers from Steve Ballmer

He also says he will drop the lawsuit he filed against the NBA.

Donald Sterling. Patch file photo.
Donald Sterling. Patch file photo.

Originally posted at 4:06 p.m. June 4, 2014. Edited with new details.

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling will sign off on the proposed $2 billion sale of the team to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and will drop the lawsuit he filed against the NBA alleging he was forced being forced to unload the franchise, his attorney said today.

Sterling filed a $1 billion lawsuit in U.S. District Court in downtown Los Angeles last week, alleging breach of contract and anti-trust and civil rights violations by the NBA, which has banned him for life and fined him $2.5 million over racially charged remarks he made in a recorded conversation with companion V. Stiviano.

But Sterling's attorney, Max Blecher, said today Sterling will sign off on the sale, telling NBC News that the embattled Clippers owner had resolved all issues with the NBA.

The league still must approve the sale of the team to Ballmer. A timeframe for that approval process was not immediately known.

On Friday, the same day Sterling filed his lawsuit, the NBA announced that it has resolved ownership questions surrounding the team and it canceled a planned vote by the league's Board of Governors on whether Sterling should be ousted as an owner.

According to the NBA, the league and the Sterling Family Trust -- the formal owner of the Clippers -- had reached an agreement under which the trust and Sterling's wife, Shelly, agreed not to sue the league. Under the agreement, the trust also agreed to indemnify the NBA against "lawsuits from others, including from Donald Sterling."

In essence, the agreement meant that the Sterling Family Trust would have to cover any damages incurred by the NBA in Donald Sterling's lawsuit.

--City News Service


Laura June 04, 2014 at 08:37 PM
Good. Now go away. And 2 billion richer or not, you are not allowed to sit anywhere but the nosebleed seats.
Diane Davidson June 05, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Now he has enough money to buy a real nice tv and sit home to watch the game in his underwear.
tony June 05, 2014 at 11:48 AM
2 Bil richer. Could not have happened to a nicer, more deserving JERK!!!!! Racist, Slumlord, Adulterer, ASS! Now he has to pay 600 million in taxes? Govt. should take it all. Take it and launch yourself a one way ticket to Mars Don't let the cockpit door hit you on the way up.
George June 05, 2014 at 02:03 PM
I am saddened by this latest development but I understand that Mr. Sperling is an elderly man suffering a hideous illness. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. Glad the NBA came to their sense and tossed out the silly trumped up charges. Shameful! Just know you have many fan's Mr. Sperling. Enjoy your twilight years and be happy!
tony June 05, 2014 at 02:09 PM
Poor guy

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »