According to Los Angeles Fire Station 23, a house fire broke out in the 1400 block of Marquette Street at 1:28 a.m. Saturday in Pacific Palisades.
Fire stations 69 and 23 responded.
Firefighters told Patch that when the crews arrived at the house, it had heavy smoke and fire.
The family told firefighters they had used the fireplace for the first time earlier Friday evening and then they heard the sprinkler go off downstairs at about 1:15 a.m.
Fire Station 23 reported the chimney fire spread into the floors and walls on the first floor. When crews arrived, it had burned through the second floor as well.
Firefighters had a hard time fighting the fire and had to open wall and floors to catch it, according to Fire Station 23. Crews also had to perform "extensive salvage" to protect furniture, as well as the families' personal belongings.
No one was hurt in the blaze and the family of five escaped without injury, according to Fire Station 23.