The Los Angeles Fire Department said the brushfire in the Sepulveda Pass area was 80 percent contained at 5 p.m. Tuesday. LAFD spokesman Matt Spence said about 40 acres had been burned so far in the blaze.
Spence said firefighters do not want to predict when the blaze would be at full containment, as there is a deep history of fire going through the Mandeville Canyon area. They want to make sure the area is completely safe, he said.
Spence said about 80 firefighters had been sent out to fight the blaze since Monday afternoon. He added that companies will begin to be released at approximately 8 p.m. Tuesday. However, crews will remain on scene to maintain a "fire watch."
The fire broke out between North Mandeville Canyon Road and North Canyon Road on Monday afternoon at about 4:10 p.m., according to LAFD spokesman Brian Humphrey. Fire officials said there were no injuries, no structural damage and no formal evacuations Monday.
Roads in the immediate area had been closed Monday, said Humphrey. However, the streets reopened and residents of the 3600 block of Mandeville Canyon Road were allowed to return home at about 8:30 p.m., according to LAFD officials.
LA County Fire joined the LAFD crews with helicopters and personnel.
Spence said the cause of the fire is still under investigation.
Patch will continue to update this information as it becomes available.
Editor's note: Patch previously reported 90 percent containment and on Tuesday. Per LAFD, containment was at 80 percent for most of the day.